Week I: Introduce yourself


Week I: Introduce yourself



Meet Teddy

Hello World! I am Akonjang Teddy a self-thought computer programmer from Buea, Cameroon. I am a Biology student but along the way, I gained interest in programming from my sister who was a Software Engineer. In the beginning, I thought it was all a joke, her just sitting in front of the computer all day and escaping house chores until I saw her actually make a living out of it. That was when I began learning how to code from freeCodeCamp.


 My Core Values

  1. Curiosity:
    I am always interested in exploring new things experimenting with APIs and seeing what features I can build from it.

  2. Growth: 
    I also am also curious in meeting new people who think and code differently because it helps me master certain concepts by asking myself why it was done this way and if it can be improved. Asking myself these questions pushes my brain to develop a mastery of certain aspects of not just programming but also how to interact with others.
  3. Leadership:
    I believe the best way to grow is by helping others out.

What motivated you to apply to Outreachy ?

After sometime of studying online and building projects with tutorial videos, I needed to practice my coding skills by working in real life projects. This was a little difficult to get in my local community because some employers prefer people with at least a Bachelor's degree in a tech related field.

 My sister recommended I should try out Outreachy. The first two rounds I applied and did some contributions but was not confident enough to submit a final application. I finally did the third time I applied and got ACCEPTED!

 Thanks to my mentor Paulo Lopez who has been very supportive all through the application phase in reviewing the contributions I did. I also gained a lot of inspiration from other applicants and the questions they asked either helped me or made me realize I was not alone in the difficulties I was phasing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing a new comer to the Vert.X Community

Week 2: Understanding Core functionality of WebRTC